Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Relatives who inspired me

I am a second generation urban dweller. My dad and mom migrated to the city for education and preferred to settle down here. I was born and bred in the city. However, I am thankful to my parents for letting me spend all my vacations at my grandparents' in the village.

Swimming with buffaloes in the village pond, grazing cows, picking wild mangoes and cashew - these are my favourite memories from childhood. The attachment developed towards animals, birds and trees took root firmly over the years. I am also thankful to my mom for instilling the love of nature (especially animals) in me.

My maternal uncle, late Shankarnarayana Bhat (a noted environmentalist, popularly known as Shampa Daithota) played a key role in introducing me to the world of farming. I observed the implementation of vermiculture and drip irrigation back in the 80's and 90's when these were a novelty. Unfortunately, I was too young to fully understand what was happening then and I regret not spending more time with my uncle while I could. Nevertheless, I did learn a little about plants and animals. He instilled in me an interest for sustainable agricultural practices and tolerance towards animals that are generally considered pests (insects, reptiles, monkeys, boars).

My second maternal uncle, Venkatram Daithota has always amazed me with the breadth of his knowledge. His knowledge of herbs simply amazes me. I am also thankful to him for instilling in me a respect for plants and their amazing healing abilities.

If there's one person who has influenced my life the most, it's my aunt Dr.Savithri Daithota. Her zest for life and passion for excellence are infectious. She convinced me that ANYTHING is possible and within reach. Her inspiration, guidance and help was instrumental in converting my farming ideas into action.


No comments:

Post a Comment